Stray cats... They are all over Tel Aviv, including our apartment. Two days this week I have found stray cats hanging out in the dining room, jumping down from the loft, and heading out of Makai's window.
The first afternoon I found two stray cats under our dining room table about to fight it out when we came home from the playground. Luckily, Sabbia was sleeping downstairs on our bed. She was quite oblivious to what was happening when Makai followed her upstairs. Since then, I have kept all windows downstairs closed. This morning, Makai woke up at 8:20 a.m. After his pamper change and a little bit of gaga goo goo we head upstairs. I hear a thump. I automatically think its Sabbia. Then I hear a him say "ca, ca, ca, ca". I say yes, cat. Then I realize, he doesn't say "ca, ca" to fuzz. He says "yyyaaahhhhhaaaaa!!!" "ca, ca" are for stray cats. I look down and there is a stray cat which he is going for. The cat already has her back arched in attack position. I grab him and say SCAT! The cat doesn't move. Then I call for my dog who takes 5 minutes to get up the stairs. I yell "Pali cat, Pali cat!" She doesn't do anything. I see her wag her tail trying to stick her neck out as far as she can to smell. Then I hear a low "woof... woof..." with her tail shaking at the top of the stairs. She is unsure if she should go towards the cat or stay near us. I give her attack command, "Uno... dos... tres... vamos!" Off she goes. I thought the cat would head downstairs and out one of the three windows which I had just opened. Instead she jumped out the highest window we have on the second floor which leads to the porch. I am assuming this is how she entered since it was the only window open this morning. Scott and I still can't figure out how cats even get up to our patio.
This explains why Sabbia was in attack mode yesterday evening. Pali couldn't even eat without Sabbia attacking her. It makes me wonder if there was a cat inside which upset Sabbia. Sabbia hasn't attacked Pali in over 6 months. The last time she did, Pali was trying to smell her butt.
A little scary! If they carry Rabies it can contaminate your area. Plus they will find Sabbia/ Pali's food bowl and keep coming back for more...more...more! Stray out-doors cats can carry a lot of different diseases...so be careful.
ReplyDeleteYou should put something like this outside your window...
ReplyDeletehttp://capslove.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/owl-threat-display-cp-to-mothman-sketch.jpg
I'd like to see an Israeli cat go up against this sucka.