Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cats II

Cats are indeed numerous here. To make matters worse, our downstairs neighbor leaves cat food out. And with this food there are a number of street cats camped outside various ledges around our apartment, including all over my car. (See paw prints on my car windshield.) I don't call them stray cats mostly because they haven't really seemed to have strayed from anywhere in particular. I think these cats simply make their home in and around our apartment.


And it is quite true that these cats are aggressive, in particular the orange cat with a striking resemblance to Frank the cat from the Whiskas commercial. Very often and more so during the night, we will hear the cries of a cat rumble as two cats try to lay claim to one ledge. When we first moved here, Jana would jump up in the middle of her sleep when she heard these cries and ask, "where's sabbia?" "no sorry honey, sabbia is over there sleeping. she hasn't gotten torn up by Frank yet."

Atom and I actually witnessed a cat fight first hand. There were two cats. Frank of course and another black cat which we'll call Felix for the sake of this story. Felix sat in the middle of the street in front of our apartment. Frank was slowly walking up to Felix. I mean real slow, giving him glaring stare down while making some crazy "meow" cries. Felix sat there completely avoiding any eye contact. Atom and I stood there watching. Frank continued is slow approach, all the while still taunting Felix. Then all of a sudden, Frank lunged at Felix and there was a cat rumble right in front of us. I was actually shocked and tried yelling at them to get them to stop. I don't think it was because of me, but they did stop for a second. Frank continued to stare down Felix. I thought, "this probably isn't good for Atom to watch. I better go
inside." As I left the two cats still in stare down stances, Atom enthusiastically signed, "More. More. More."



Atom now searches for cats hoping they will provide him some entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment