One of the attractions of coming here was being a first hand observer to the Middle East process, a political issue I had previously only given peripheral attention. For the most part, I listen in on debates at the office on some of the issues that do pop up in the news.
A recent discussion centered around Netanyahu's agreement to a 90 day freeze on settlement building, thereby reentering peace talks with the Palestinians, a deal that still needs approval from his cabinet which is not entirely certain. Then they mentioned the "carrot." 20 F-35 stealth fighters and whatever under the table incentives not disclosed.
All during the rest of the discussion, I was thinking in my head, "20 F-35's only buys 90 days?"
Not the general water cooler discussions I heard back home...
A recent discussion centered around Netanyahu's agreement to a 90 day freeze on settlement building, thereby reentering peace talks with the Palestinians, a deal that still needs approval from his cabinet which is not entirely certain. Then they mentioned the "carrot." 20 F-35 stealth fighters and whatever under the table incentives not disclosed.
All during the rest of the discussion, I was thinking in my head, "20 F-35's only buys 90 days?"
Not the general water cooler discussions I heard back home...
No comments:
Post a Comment