Sunday, November 21, 2010

Traffic stop

My office is in Jerusalem. This requires me to drive about an hour to work every morning. The drive isn't too bad as long as I leave at a decent hour and avoid the morning rush. And for the most part, I've learned to become an Israeli driver, honking at slow cars, inching into tiny spaces between cars, cutting others off, and other obnoxious driving habits that are not really obnoxious here.

The drive to Jerusalem is pretty scenic as Jerusalem is set on some hills. On this one morning, I decided to merge onto the next lane earlier than allowed according to the lines on the road. Didn't seem like a big deal until I saw a police car parked ahead of me and a police officer pointing at my car, telling me to pull over. I could swear that he couldn't have seen me.
So I stopped and rolled down my window. Here's a photo of the traffic stop from my vantage point.


The policeman came over said something in Hebrew. I said "I don't understand" and fumbled for some papers in the glove compartment, not really sure what I was looking for. The policeman looked a little annoyed and then simply said "passport." Oh side note here, it is recommended that we carry our passport at all times here. It's like an ID card for us. I sure hope I don't lose it. Back to the story. The cop looks over the passport, nods his head, and gives it back to me. Looks like I'm free to go now.

I think I'll continue to feign ignorance. It's not too hard here for me.


Scott

1 comment:

  1. Nods his head...He's probably thinking.."foreigners, they will never learn". Glad you didn't get a ticket little bro. We don't need any more expenses.

    ReplyDelete