Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Gahn

Gahn is hebrew for kindergarten. Here kids start no later than the age of 2. Makai has been on the Montessori waitlist since Janurary and still no luck of getting in. It did look promising when we went to the states. They did say we think we have room with people leaving but when we returned we heard it was a no go.

For the past 6 months I've been looking around. Not actively checking out all the gahns but just the ones which come highly recommended. I have not been impressed. My standards are Americanized and we live in the middle east. Not a good mix.

A few people have recommended schools in Jaffa, an arab town here. I decided to check it out. This is the first Arab gahn I visited and don't think I'll be checking out any others, for obvious reasons.


Yes Big Mak, that's trash in their yard!
More trash...


Chickens eating left over watermelon and junk.  Horders?

We did find a school right next to where we live.  It's pretty nice and Makai feels comfortable.  He always asks to go and when we get there and its one of the few places he is willing to get out and venture on his own.

Last week we stopped by with Pali to put a deposit down.  Makai was quite excited.  When we got there he wanted me to join him with the group of kids by taking my hand.  I said no, you have to do this on your own.  I will stay here and watch.  He then grabbed Pali's leash trying to get her to join the group of kids with him.  She refused.  The kids had balloons.  Pali is afraid of balloons.

No comments:

Post a Comment